Monday, October 25, 2010

Kanye West; Runaway

I have never been a closeted Kanye fan. Sure, he is prick. A talented one. I still think seeing him live was one of the greatest shows I have ever been to. Many of you might disagree with me, but I think if anything Kanye's artistic intuition and exquisite taste is worth noting. I especially appreciative that he, unlike MANY OTHERS give credit when credit is due. His blog, which I have followed for many years is basically him paying homage to all the artists (decorative, literature, high art, musicians, and otherwise) who inspire him.

Runaway his highly anticipated music video/short film does not fall short of my personal artistic expectations for Mr. West. To put it simply, it is beautiful.

A bit contrived, a bit too much rehashed imagery, a bit too much male gaze, a bit too much dialogue (in my opinion, it needs none, the music and imagery is enough). It may be a bit of all these things, but it is a WHOLE lotta beautiful. So I am letting all that go.

I see this as Kanye attempting to evoke his inner Barney. To me the comparisons between Runaway and Cremaster Cycle were undeniable. Hybrid creatures, birds eye sweeping shots, off kilter imagery and/or props, cuts to unrelated scenes, awkward moments of frozen interaction, and more indescribable similarities. This may be completely coincidental, but hardly ignorable.

While there may be many reasons to hate or discredit Kanye, hopefully this is one reason to reconsider. (I mean, come on, he wrote a song admitting his douchebag-ness)

Please watch it, and PLEASE tell me what you think.














on a side note, my girl Nicki Minaj narrates the opening scene!!! LUV HER!

No comments:

Post a Comment